The teaching and learning framework that underpins our school’s curriculum.
Kirwan High creates opportunities for our students to be successful learners and prepare them for the future. A model which allows us to achieve these goals is the Art and Science of Teaching: A Comprehensive Framework for Effective Instruction. We the only state school in North Queensland implementing the Art and Science of Teaching, and the benefits of focusing on the ways students learn is clearly evident in the excellent outcomes of our students.
The framework consists of ten design questions that form a logical sequence for effective teacher planning and reflection:
- What will I do to establish and communicate learning goals, track student progress, and celebrate success?
- What will I do to help students effectively interact with new knowledge?
- What will I do to help students practice and deepen their understanding of new knowledge?
- What will I do to help students generate and test hypotheses about new knowledge?
- What will I do to engage students?
- What will I do to establish or maintain classroom rules and procedures?
- What will I do to recognize and acknowledge adherence and lack of adherence to classroom rules and procedures?
- What will I do to establish and maintain effective relationships with students?
- What will I do to communicate high expectations for all students?
- What will I do to develop effective lessons organized into a cohesive unit?
The Art and Science of Teaching, and the school’s focus on the habits of mind, is designed to create thoughtful, independent learners and successful people.