Kirwan High has a large number of students from defence families. On arrival you can obtain information concerning our defence transition mentor from the guidance officers.
The role of the defence transition mentor is to assist students to make successful transitions into a new school and community by providing support and information.
You can access the defence transition mentor in either of two ways:
Students may make an appointment with the defence transition mentor by calling into the student engagement team’s offices in the First Year Centre for an appointment.
Parents may refer their child/children to the defence transition mentor, if they have any concerns, by phone, email or in person.
The desired outcome is a smooth transition for secondary school students from mobile Australian Defence Force families from school to school and across curriculum jurisdictions.
What does a defence transition mentor do?
The defence transition mentor works in secondary schools to provide information, support and referral to secondary students from mobile defence families.
Defence transition mentors provide assistance to defence students and families. This may include:
Assisting students integrate into the school community.
- Coordinating welcoming and farewelling strategies for students.
- Helping students to develop their self-confidence and resilience.
- Encouraging students to explore options and make the most of opportunities.
- Helping students manage the challenges of transitions.
- Referring students to student support services.
- Identifying the issues and needs of individual students and developing programs to address them.
- Monitoring students’ day to day social and emotional wellbeing.
- Supporting students at school during times of parental absence from home for service reasons.
- Facilitating student participation in cultural, sporting, academic and personal development programs.
- Linking students to school and community programs.
- Raising awareness of defence related issues facing students such as parental absence due to service requirements.