What is an immersion program?
Immersion students receive 50% to 60% of their schooling in a second language. The remaining subjects are taught in English. At Kirwan High, our 2019 Year 7 students will begin the program by studying Humanities in French. It has been proven that learning another language through an immersion program significantly enhances students' linguistic skills and multicultural understandings. This program ensure that our scholars are confident and caring global citizens who are prepared for the future.
How does an immersion program work?
Immersion is teaching in the language, not just teaching the language. The best way to learn another language is to use it in a practical everyday communication. through Kirwan High's French Immersion Program, students will be able to develop their language fluency and cultural knowledge to successfully immerse themselves in French society.
In addition, there is strong evidence-based research that has identified that students who study in immersion programs achieve equivalent, or better academic outcomes than those who participate in traditional pathways.
The Kirwan High French immersion program is structured so that students will experience a Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL) environment.
In Years 9 and 10 the school will provide opportunities for students to engage in further French immersion as their language abilities improve.
Students in the Kirwan High French immersion program will be offered a range of academic opportunities. Students will:
- Collaborate with students in our partnership schools located in Vanuatu and France;
- Have the opportunity to be a part of our reciprocal international exchange programs;
- Lead the Young Language Ambassadors Program at Kirwan High in collaborating with James Cook University.
Who should enrol?
Students who have a keen desire and enthusiasm for learning other languages are encouraged to apply. This is a difficult, but rewarding program, and all students must be motivated to work hard to achieve their goals.
Whilst it may be a benefit to have experience in learning the French language, previous experience in the language is not essential. However, all students must submit an application form that will be considered to determine their suitability for this program.
Parents are stronglyencouraged to take an active interest and role of support to ensure that their student is readily prepared, and achieves success in this program.
The enrolment process
Students will enrol in the Kirwan High french immersion program through the application process. Please request a Kirwan High French immersion program application form from the Front Office and return it by the end of Term 3.
Once applications have been received, potential candidates will be shortlisted for interviews with the Head of Department for Humanities and Languages.
What helps to make a successful immersion learner?
Students who achieve well in language immersion programs may have demonstrated the following:
- Self Confidence
- Acting with integrity
- Motivation to achieve
- Enjoyment of a challenge
- High levels of achievement
What are the benefits for students?
Our French immersion program provides a wide range of benefits beyond academic success. These benefits include:
- Personal and educational enrichment;
- Enhanced thinking skills such as concept formation, analysis, evaluation, comparison and comprehension;
- Increased understanding of how English and other languages work;
- Improved study skills;
- Flexibility and creative strategies to deal with unfamiliar tasks and challenges;
- Improved career and travel opportunities;
- Increased confidence when integrating with people from other cultures in Australia and overseas;
- A true understanding of global citizenship.